Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Deaf Week at Hoover High School

Annually, Hoover High School host Deaf Weak to honor the Deaf culture and community.

Over the past 17 years, Hoover High School has held an annual Deaf Week. Every February, five days are dedicated to educating students about Deaf culture and community. During this time, students see ASL (American Sign Language) handshape alphabet posters around the school and the morning announcements being interpreted. These yearly traditions give all students, whether in ASL class or not, the opportunity to be immersed in Deaf Culture. ASL I teacher, Mrs. Mooney, talks about the significance of this week.

“It’s important to bring awareness to hearing people about Deaf world,” she said. “A lot of our kids have never met Deaf people. We want Deaf people to come in so our students can see them, talk to them, and sign to them.”

Throughout the week, Deaf signers come into the classrooms for all levels of ASL students. This provides an opportunity for students to learn about their stories and get to know the signers on a personal level. Junior Trinity Seth, an ASL II student, talks about her experience with the Deaf signers.

“There is a huge difference between having ‘planned’ signs in class versus signing on the spot with actual Deaf people,” she said. “Also, they sign way faster, encouraging me to focus on my facials, and I can pick up new signs from watching conversations. It is important to apply my skills in real life and gain much more confidence in my signing from the practice!”

During the years there have been many special ways Deaf Week has been celebrated at Hoover High School. Some traditions have remained while others have been left behind. ASL II and III teacher, Mrs. Cammel, explains these changes.

“We used to have FREE HUG day the Friday of Deaf week, it was a huge hit,” she said. “COVID prevents us from having it anymore. We at times have added flyers in teachers’ mailboxes about Deaf Facts.”

The Deaf community has many fun games and traditions that are taught to the ASL students. Knowing these games helps ASL students become immersed into Deaf Culture. Mrs. Mooney tells us about a card game she teaches.

“Dingo is a card game that Deaf people play at Deaf Clubs,” she said. “It is visual so it is easy for large groups to get involved with. The reason I have my classes play it is because some of the kids will get involved in the Deaf community once they graduate so I want them to be familiar with the game. Also I teach it as a way to connect with Deaf culture during Deaf week.”

Deaf Week is not limited to just ASL students. From decorating the school to having the morning announcements interpreted, everyone can celebrate this important week. Trinity tells us about how she has observed the impact during this time around the school.

“After seeing the announcements and showcase, some classmates and teachers ask me questions and talk to me about ASL,” she said. “I think it is so important to spread awareness not only on ASL, but the Deaf community as well.”

Sophomore McKenna Schrock, a student in ASL I, talks a little about what Deaf Week means to her.

“Deaf week to me was a great learning moment and a great way to learn about Deaf,” she said. “Mrs. Mooney and Mrs. Cammel both try and make it a great experience.”

Deaf week for many has been a fun way to get to know more about the Deaf community. Mrs. Cammel talks about the importance of this week to her.

“It showcases Deaf, it pulls together all the things we have taught in class,” she said. “For many ASL I students it is the first time they have met a Deaf person. We bring the Deaf World to our students.”