Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Senior Spotlight: Lily Tula

Zoe
Grace Dannemiller

Senior Lilly Tula is an exceptional representation of a Hoover Viking. In addition to her academic studies, Tula is a member of the varsity soccer team, Literary Magazine, Spanish Club, National Honors Society, as well as a handful of other clubs — and it’s involvement in such activities, clubs and sports that makes the high school experience.

“One of the best pieces of advice I would give to freshmen, and really any high schooler, is to enjoy each day,” she said. “While this can be hard at times, high school truly does go by fast. Specifically to freshmen, I would recommend getting involved. Joining clubs, athletics, or other extracurricular activities allows you to meet new people and become more diverse as a person.”

When it comes to athletics, Tula has been playing soccer for 10 years and has continued her love for the sport all through high school.

“Soccer has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember,” she said. “While the sport itself has been fun, it has also taught me many lessons over the years. The sport has taught me the importance of hard work, patience, friendship, and so much more. These skills can be applied to anything in life. In addition, soccer really helped to develop me as a person and as a leader.”

Playing for the Lady Vikes varsity team since her freshman year, Tula is a four-letter winner and two-year captain. Girls varsity soccer coach Mr. Brian Girdlestone spoke about Tula’s impact on the team.

“Lilly helps build morale by staying positive, no matter the situation, supporting her teammates, having open conversations with coaches, [and] leading by example,” he said. “She is all I could ask for in a captain. She is also an integral part of our players/coaches council.”

In addition to her time on the field, another aspect of her high school experience is Spanish Club, on which Tula serves as co-president.

“Last year was the first year Spanish Club was present at Hoover since the COVID-19 Pandemic [began],” she said. “During this first year back, I was the secretary for Spanish Club and was responsible for coordinating building use, recording meeting notes, and helping the executive board with any tasks needed. This year I am one of two presidents for Spanish Club, which requires planning events, working with the executive board, and promoting the club at Hoover.”

Spanish Club holds a special place in her heart.

“I decided to join the club to learn more about my Hispanic heritage,” she said. “[I also joined to] have fun with other students at meetings and pursue leadership roles. Members of Spanish Club tend to enjoy the fun activities and the food provided at most meetings. Overall, Spanish Club is a great way for students to meet new people due to the large group setting and welcoming atmosphere.”

Spanish teacher Mrs. Lindsay Johnson advises Spanish Club and spoke regarding what makes Tula a great role model for her peers.

“I think Lilly is there for her friends, knows how to have fun, but then knows when to get serious and work hard,” she said. “I love that Lilly has dedicated herself to soccer, Spanish, and her other classes. She shows respect to staff
members and to other students. She has integrity. She works hard. She is responsible and prepared. She was the BEST secretary we’ve ever had for Spanish Club. She learned her responsibilities, was always prepared and took fantastic records of our meetings. She’s now co-president and she reminds students of meetings without being prompted and just takes responsibility and displays leadership. She is fantastic!”

In addition to Spanish Club, Tula is also involved in Teen Institute, which Mrs. Johnson also advises. Tula works with her and fellow classmates to raise awareness about the goals Teen Institute has set in motion within North Canton City Schools. The club focuses on living a drug-free lifestyle — and helping others do the same. Red Ribbon Week and Prom Promise are two of the main projects the club runs year-to-year. They strive to warn others of the impact drugs, alcohol and vaping can have on people. The club also takes trips to North Canton Intermediate to talk with fifth graders about these issues.

“Lilly does the right thing even when no one is watching,” Johnson said. “She’s proven herself to be responsible and trustworthy, so I trust that she makes the right decisions outside of the classroom just like she does in the classroom. She’s been a role model for younger students in soccer and has done a great job helping with Red Ribbon Week and Prom Promise in the past. I can count on her to get the job done and to be somewhere when she promises to do so.”

Outside of Hoover, Tula and her friends enjoy a growing sport — pickleball — which combines tennis, badminton, and ping-pong using a paddle and plastic ball with holes. Fellow senior and friend Anna McClowry talked about their shared time together.

“Pickleball has become one of our friend group’s favorite activities to do when we get together,” she said. “Natalie Kiraly, Lyndsay Blyer, Reese Henne, Lilly and I enjoy the time away from school to just be present with each other and catch up.”

As she begins her final year at Hoover High School, Tula discusses what she hopes to accomplish after graduation.

“In ten years, I hope to be an Ohio State alumni with a degree in nursing,” she said. “While I don’t have a specific career I hope to pursue at the moment, I definitely hope to be working in the medical field or in the field of speech pathology. I can see myself living in the suburbs outside a big city near my family.”

All in all, Tula has one more piece of advice, her life motto: “YOLO.”

“Although a simple phrase, it carries a good message,” she said. “I think society as a whole tends to get caught up in the little things more than ever, and sometimes we need a reminder that we should partake in more activities we enjoy — since we only live once.”