Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Season of Giving

Hoover High School programs organize holiday drives and discuss the importance of charity

As the holiday season approaches, many donation drives and outreach programs begin. These organizations, such as the North Canton Holiday Drive, Operation Christmas Child and North Canton Cares Pantry give back to the community in several different ways. These programs accept many different kinds of donations, including canned food, toys, toiletries and more. Giving back to the community is a great way to spread joy this holiday season, and can make a significant difference in the lives of many.

Feeding Those In Need
The Social Studies department at Hoover High School has been partnering with North Canton Cares Pantry for many years. Each year, students can bring canned food or non-perishable items to their Social Studies class, to help those in need. One of many Social Studies teachers involved in this food drive, Mr. Dan Campanaro, speaks more about how it started.

“[Former staff member] Mr. Keiffer was the chairman of the Social Studies department around 30 years ago,” he said. “He started this drive because he wanted the students here to learn about what it means to be a part of a community and to give back. Once he started it, it’s been a tradition ever since then. It’s been going on every year since.”

The Social Studies department originally started out partnering with a church in downtown Canton and have been partnering with North Canton Cares Pantry in recent years. Associate Pastor at Summit Church, Mr. Jeff Dayton, is the president of this pantry. Donations go a long way for this drive and really help them out.

“They run out to Thanksgiving and then they get towards Christmas and they need more,” he said. “This really helps them out. Whenever he comes with that truck, he’s always floored with how much stuff there is.”

When the holiday season rolls around, this drive continues to assist families in need. Not only does this drive help
many individuals, but it also gives an opportunity for the students of North Canton to give back to their community. Each Social Studies teacher puts on a competition in their class to see which period has the highest number of items. The class period that wins is treated with a party from their teacher.

“I enjoy the competition part of it because some of my kids get into it and they don’t even care about the pizza party or donut party, they just want to win,” Campanaro said. “Those are the years with the best turnout because I’ll have kids who are just so competitive.”

Sophomore Emma Chung talks more about the importance of giving back to the community, especially during the holiday season.

“I think it’s important for people to participate in drives because it helps those in need while also promoting a sense of community,” she said. “It’s important for us to come together and make a positive impact in people’s lives.”

Gifts For The World
Operation Christmas Child is a nationwide program, run by the Samaritan’s Purse, that has been brought to Hoover. Each year, this program collects millions of gift boxes from contributors, filled with toys, winter garments, accessories and more. These boxes are then transported to local churches that deliver the gifts to children in need, all over the world.

The Samaritan’s Purse collects boxes from countries including Finland, Germany, New Zealand and many more. In 2022, more than 10.5 million gifts were collected globally, and this year, the organization hopes to surpass those numbers, sharing gifts with another 11 million children.

“The Amazing Journey of a Shoebox Gift Begins with You and Results in Evangelism, Discipleship, and Multiplication,” the organization stated.

Hoover has been involved in this program for many years, organized by Fellowship of Christian Students [FCS]; however, the Pep Club began organizing it in 2021. Hoover teacher and Pep Club adviser Mrs. Melissa Warther has enjoyed taking on this task and having the opportunity to help children who may be less fortunate this holiday season.

“I hope to be able to provide gifts for as many children around the world as we can,” she said.

This year alone, Hoover contributed 52 boxes; Warther shared that while some students donated one box, others contributed a few, and all donations were greatly appreciated.

To get involved next holiday season, you can pick up your box from Hoover High School, choose a gender and age range, and purchase items to fill the gift. Items to donate include toys, hair accessories, coloring books and more. Items that are not permitted in these boxes include food, liquids, breakable items, medications or vitamins and any used or damaged items.

The Samaritan’s Purse organization urges that anyone can participate in this program, and they have even made it easier and more accessible to participate. The program now offers an online option, where contributors can fill a box virtually, from the comfort of their own home. Operation Christmas Child is an incredible way to stay involved and help a child in need during the holiday season.

Bringing Joy
This year, Hoover High School participated, for the first time, in collecting “Craft Packs” for patients at Akron Children’s Hospital. The PBIS [Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports] Committee brought this program to our community and hopes that it will continue for many years to come.

The packages include a variety of art supplies including markers, crayons, coloring books, word searches, stickers and more. Students, parents and teachers are encouraged to participate by purchasing such supplies and dropping them off in the donation bins located within the high school at the security desk, attendance office and guidance office.

Hoover teacher and member of the PBIS program, Mrs. Kristen Chiarappa, expresses that this is an incredible opportunity for our community to give back to a hospital that many students and families in the community have received care from.

“We hope to bring creativity and holiday spirit to the children at Akron Children’s Hospital,” she said.

Chiarappa also shares how amazing it has been to see physical objects being donated instead of just money, though all
donations are appreciated.

“Knowing these art supplies are going to a child who could use their spirits lifted makes this such a rewarding experience,” she said.

In their first year of participation, the PBIS committee has done an amazing job spreading word of this drive through
NCTV and the school newsletter and has collected a plethora of donations.

“We are so thankful to all who have donated for our first community outreach to Akron Children’s Hospital,” Chiarappa
said. “We hope to do the same again next year!”