Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls

Who Had The Best Met Gala

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

With Gratitude

NCCS wishes staff all the best in upcoming retirement
Macie Shaheen
Mrs. Dolvin teaching Spanish to Hoover students

If you ask any of Sra. Ann Dolvin’s students, they will tell you she’s pretty amazing. From her stories of her time in Brazil to being on a game show, there is never a dull moment when you walk into her room. Before her start at Hoover, Sra. Dolvin lived all over the country, from Florida to California.

“I was a TA at Miami University, then taught at a language school in Cincinnati,” she said. “Then I got married… moved to Virginia, California, North Carolina, Florida, and California again.”

While teaching she has learned “patience, adaptability, and how to compromise and work as a team,” she said. These are the exact things that she will miss when she retires, especially the kids and speaking Spanish every day. After the school year ends, Sra. Dolvin plans to travel.

“My son is an airline pilot, so it’s gonna be cheap,” she said.

Mrs. Dolvin smiles at the camera while teaching Spanish to her students at Hoover high school (Macie Shaheen)

When you walk into the Attendance Office, the first person you see is Mrs. Katie Wolff. As HHS’ Attendance Goddess, she makes sure all the students are accounted for. Mrs. Wolff still keeps in touch with former students.

“I guess [my job in the Attendance Office] has given me a perspective of a kid’s worldview I’ve gotten to know quite a few students over the years,” she said.

The relationships she has made with both students and staff is what she will miss the most from her life at Hoover. There is no doubt that Mrs. Wolff’s role is crucial to the day-to-day life at Hoover. After she retires, she is planning on gardening, making pottery, and moving to New York.

“I’m going to move to my lake house permanently,” she said.

Mrs. Wolff on the phone during her work day as HHS Attendance Goddess (Hannah Lord)

For Dr. Scott Colles, teaching was his second pathway in life. Prior to teaching, Dr. Colles conducted medical research at the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic, but he found his calling in education.

“It was while doing research that I had the opportunity to work with some high school students and found that I enjoyed teaching them more than I enjoyed research,” he said. “Teaching exposes you to a lot of different people with different backgrounds and experiences. It afforded me to learn from these individuals and see things from different perspectives.”

In turn, his students and colleagues have also provided him with their unique insights and views on topics.

“My colleagues have been tremendous and made even the most arduous days a little more enjoyable through humor or wise observations,” he said.

As for his plans after retirement, Dr. Colles wants to travel extensively.

“I want to see as much of the United States as possible, and then I plan to start traveling to other parts of the world,” he said.

Dr. Colles teaching AP bio to sophomores at Hoover high school (Macie Shaheen)