Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

OETC: Empowering Education through Technology and Collaboration

For nearly 10 years the Ohio Educational Technology Conference (OETC) and Broadcast/Video Productions students have worked together. The students help put together videos for promotion and future attendees.

Student Lindsey Crawford said, “OETC contributes to the advancement of technology through demonstrations and showings of teaching techniques and products. The conference helps teachers and administrators come up with new creative ways to get students involved in the classroom as well as protect their safety.”

OETC is one of the largest conferences in the United States, with it being one of the best, the conference helps to the expansion of education techniques and new technologies. Teachers can come together to share and brainstorm ideas on how to improve or resolve issues in the classroom.

OETC has many goals, some of them being educational goals or client goals. The goals help promote the conference to give students real-world situations.

Student Alisha Mahajan said, “They play a pivotal role in shaping the discussions around teaching and technology by introducing and educating their fellow teachers.”

Keynote speakers also contribute to this conference and its goals by having a theme. This year, speakers focused on A.I, also known as artificial intelligence. Also, there are “lots of little fun technologies that are specific to a type of classroom,” Mr. Josh Branch, Video Productions teacher, said. Branch also sees A.I growing in future years as education also changes.

In order to make sure that the content of the product is relevant, the conference has members of the Ohio Department of Education, present at the conference and the members that attend make sure it matches up to the standards of what teachers are instructed to teach in their classrooms.

“I would tell others that OETC is definitely a conference you want to attend,” Crawford said. “It gives the broadcast and VP students real world experience and allows us to connect with people throughout the state. Going to OETC has definitely been a highlight of my high school career.”

As seniors, Crawford and Mahajan have been going to this conference for a while now and they both have had lots of fun contributing to the conference.

“As a senior, I would advise those in broadcast/video productions who are considering experiencing OETC in the future to come with an open mind ready to work and learn.” Mahajan said.

The conference is a great way for teachers to come together and learn from each other on teaching techniques and solving problems. It’s also great for developing students looking to be involved in real-world situations.

The role that NCTV plays in this conference is to document it and cover the conference so they can promote OETC for future generations.

“Our students are working collaboratively between a producer and a director team and a shooter team and an editor team.” Branch said.

Students work in teams to produce videos for the media and for the future attendees/future promotions. The students use industrial techniques and equipment to make it work. They are constantly pushing out videos as they are constantly shooting and editing these videos for real world use.

“It’s really like they’re going to work for three to four days which is the goal of career tech education.’ Branch said, “It’s for them to learn real world standards in a real world environment.”