Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls

Who Had The Best Met Gala

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Funding The Future

School funding is an essential part of a community, as schools are dependent on money and support to ensure students are provided with sufficient resources. It has been shown funding to public schools leads to improved student outcomes: increased test scores, higher graduation rates, better college attendance, and overall improved student performance.

According to EHL Insights, “Education leads path towards health, empowerment, and employment…each additional year of education boosts a person’s income by 10% and increases a country’s GDP by 18%.”

With funding comes more educational opportunities, leading to a larger span of employment experiences. Having the funds to create classes based on skill trade jobs allows students to have a better chance at succeeding when entering the workforce. The money raised and donated towards public education gives new generations an easier transition into working.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology completed a study and explained the correlation between funding and academic success, saying, “additional funding for underperforming schools to promote vertical equity would improve students’ academic outcomes if it is distributed directly to underperforming schools and used to provide new academic programs to students.”

When schools lack funding, students are less likely to succeed academically due to the fewer opportunities provided to them. An increase in funding would lead to more students performing well, resulting in greater success for both the students and the school.

Having a better-funded and more successful school also leads to students taking more pride in their education. This directly impacts the way students view themselves and learning overall. Students engaged in well-funded schools are more likely to continue onto higher-level education after high school.

Civil rights activist, Malcolm X, spoke on the issue as well, claiming, “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.”

Education is important; thus, funding is necessary to create success for everyone in a school’s community. The children attending schools and their families need to engage in the school system and aid in the raising of money to enrich their education and their futures.

Students and their families are asked to participate in fundraising activities to learn important life skills. Fundraising provides skills in planning, setting goals, teamwork and accountability. Students’ desire for academic success has a direct stake in their school’s success with fundraising and getting the community involved.

To conclude, the funding of public education is an important part of a community as it helps the upcoming generations better understand different skills and pursue their careers with a better mentality.