Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Winter Sports Preview

Boys Basketball

Sticking to the books as the boys have started off the preseason with their strong and structured off season program. Much training has been going on, not only in the weight room, but the boys have also participated in four different scrimmages. Unlike last year, this is a young, up and coming team, with many new faces to the varsity team.

Swimming and Diving

Off the blocks, many swimmers and divers participated in off season conditioning starting in September. The team worked with the YMCA to revamp the strength and conditioning sessions to be more individualized for each member of the team. Outside of the school season many also competed with club swimming, which gave the team a very strong base to start off the season. With the season already underway with many wins for both girls and boys, the team intends to have many qualify for districts and states.

Girls Basketball

New head coach? No problem! The girls have been hard at work with team camps, open gyms, and lifting. The biggest change that this team has faced is new head coach, Craig Nettleton. Nettleton has over 20 years of coaching under his belt, coaching both girls and boys basketball. Only featuring one senior this season, the team will experience much growth from the younger players. The girls are ready to compete their hardest every game.

Wrestling

Onto the mats, the wrestling team has been hard at work. Once school started the team started lifting with an open mat. The team had a new way of doing their training camp this year. The Granby School of wrestling came to Hoover this year for camp. This was the first time that they ran a camp out of their room instead of traveling. The team has great depth and senior leadership to propel them to victory.

Bowling

Over at the lanes, the bowling team has been hard at work. With practices two to three times each week, they have been running many different drills for skills they need to work on. During he off-season, the coaches suggest that the bowler join one of the many different leagues that Park Centre Lanes offers to stay sharp. The team expects to go further then they have in past seasons, and is already off to a great start.

Winter Cheer

Competitively and on the sidelines the cheer squad has been training hard to prepare for the upcoming season. Sideline cheer has been creating new material for Friday nights, while the competition team has been perfecting their routine by working on tumbling, jumps and motion techniques. The team attended the UCA cheerleading camp, which included four intense days of training and skills. The athletes are ready to push themselves as a team to represent North Canton to the best of their abilities.