Hoover High School's trusted views since 1948

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

The Viking Views

Polls

Who Had The Best Met Gala

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Canton Ballet’s “The Nutcracker”

Before we even get a chance to start thinking about winter wonderlands or the holiday season, the dancers of The Canton Ballet have already begun rehearsals for their annual performances Dec. 9-11 of the beloved holiday classic “The Nutcracker.” We can’t talk about “The Nutcracker” without talking about the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to get to opening night at the Palace Theater.

The ballet chronicles a young girl receiving a nutcracker as a gift from her godfather for Christmas. She falls asleep with the new gift in her arms and dreams that he takes her on an adventure to the Land of Sweets. The Canton Ballet’s dancers tirelessly work to bring this story to the stage. The second casting comes out the dancers are thrown into a whirlwind of costume fittings and rehearsals that typically take place in late October.

Hoover High School freshman Aubry Hendry has been dancing with the ballet company for
essentially her entire life. “The Nutcracker” is just as much a part of Christmas as any other holiday
tradition they might partake in for these dancers.

“Without ‘Nutcracker,’ Christmas wouldn’t feel like Christmas,” she said.

Monday through Thursday nights in November, these ladies are typically in the studio from approximately 4:30 to 9:00 p.m. That being said with what feels like endless hours of rehearsals come unbreakable bonds and friendships that have spanned decades. Hoover junior Allison Pellegrino claims to have made some of her best friends during
her thirteen years dancing at the ballet.

“The thing that makes Nutcracker special to me is the people. I’ve been with them my whole life, so Nutcracker wouldn’t be the same without them,” she said.

The experiences and memories are years in the making.

“I have been in ‘The Nutcracker’ for many years, it seems like a permanent part of my December. It has played a big role in my life and I couldn’t imagine Christmas without it,” senior Annabella Purses said.

Sharing a dressing room and getting ready for performances with your best friends and favorite people is half the fun of
performing. Doing each other’s makeup in mirrors framed with lights makes dancers feel like a star — not to mention getting to spend time in Canton’s very own and very beautiful Palace Theater. The beautiful architecture and stunning ceiling equipped with glowing stars and moving clouds add an extra element of magic to the show.

Theater week, although stressful, seems to be their favorite part of the process. All three of these dancers have reiterated how much they love spending time at the theater. Getting to dance while looking out at the theater makes the dancers gleam in the way a studio never could.

“My favorite part of theater week is being able to dress up in all our Christmas gear and take class on stage,” Hen.

During their time at the theater, the girls attend ballet classes on the stage to warm up. Under beaming stage lights the pianist plays Christmas music for the dancers. Purses has been dancing with the ballet company for the past fifteen years and says she really enjoys this time of year.

“Every year during November and December we are busy rehearsing, so the music and all of the dances remind me of the holiday spirit,” she said.

One of the most fulfilling parts of the process is to see all of their dedication come to life under the stage lights as the show unfolds. Those who get to watch this take place from the audience are floored. For the dancers receiving
praise from loved ones as they see how much your time has paid off is a feeling like no other.

“The Nutcracker is so special to me because it is an opportunity to dance with my best friends and shows my loved ones how hard I have been working for the past couple of months,” Hendry said.

Getting to dance in new roles each year keeps “The Nutcracker” feeling new for the dancers as well as the audience. In the 2022 season, Purses took on the role of Snow Queen. This year during the 2023 performances, Pellegrino will be taking on the stunning role.

“One of my most favorite roles is probably the Snow Queen because of the beautiful pas de deux I get to perform,” Pellegrino said.

The show is a magical experience for all involved, dancers and the audience.

Specifically, the snow scene is by far one of the most magical moments in the show. As snow falls over the dancers and glistens in the light we see just why this shapes the holidays for those performing. The legacy these dancers leave with all their hard work and incredible talent should most definitely be celebrated. As the dancers take their final bow and the curtain goes down you can’t help but be thankful for the holiday cheer the dancers have left reminiscing all throughout the Palace Theater.

“It shapes my holiday season because ever since I was little it was a symbol of Christmastime,” Pellegrino said.