Murder at Midnight

Hoover High School Drama Club presents ‘Dracula’

Grace Dannemiller

Senior Livi Pedone, junior AnnaSophia Bates and sophomores Emma Schenk and Kylan Solida perform in the November 2022 production of “Dracula”

Madi Vardavas and Natalie Kiraly

The curtains opened on Hoover High School’s “Dracula” Nov. 17, and it was a success. Along with the amount of tireless effort the cast and crew have put in, they also revert to a particular form of casting known as gender-bending, as it was commonly performed in ancient times.
“It’s something that is historically very important, all the way back to the Ancient Greeks,” Hoover Hall Director Mr. Bruce Nist said. “Only males were allowed to act in theater, so in order to have roles of multiple genders, there had to be ways of doing that. So it’s a tradition that goes back to 650 B.C.”
With it being an all-female cast, the actors have had to take on a great challenge to portray characters. Senior Rumor Cordova plays Dracula and believes gender should not matter in the theater and is very proud of the way the cast has adjusted.
“Personally, gender has never meant much to me so being in a cast that excludes gender norms makes me feel incredibly welcome and accepted,” Cordova said. “Being able to go beyond the spectrum of gender and put myself into such a masculine character helps me to explore another side of myself. It’s so much fun to use what your given to create something completely new and I believe that our cast this year is doing an amazing job of adjusting to the confusion of an all-female cast.”
For the student actors, there has been much interest in being involved in this production, and for junior Braylie Law, when the show was announced, she knew that she needed to take the opportunity.
“I wanted to be involved in this production because over the years I have fell in love with theatre,” she said. “The people in the cast are the absolute sweetest. I was intrigued by the show ‘Dracula’ because I have always had a love for horror movies. This show is very different from previous ones so I was excited to try something new.”
The intense amount of love, sense of safety, and the unbreakable bonds and friendships that theater and performing provides seems to be something that everyone in the cast shares, and it plays a big part in why all of the actors wanted to get involved.
“I wanted to be in ‘Dracula’ because the stage and theater has truly been my safe place throughout my high school experience,” Cordova said. “The friends I’ve made through both theater performance and theater tech are the kind that will last forever. Hoover Hall has brought me an entirely new perspective on life and an amazing new family.”
One of the biggest challenges any actor has to face is the act of bringing their character from lines on a piece of paper to real life. Law has experienced this great difficulty firsthand while starring in this show.
“The most challenging part about bringing the script to life is the idea of not just saying your lines but showing your character through them,” she said. “It is very easy to memorize lines and just say them. The challenging part is bringing your character through those lines in order to make the story come alive and interesting for the audience.”
The cast and crew has put in a phenomenal amount of work to ensure that the show is not one that people will soon forget. When the audience sees them shine on stage, they only see a portion of the work the actors put into this production.
“The behind-the-scenes of any performance is, in all honesty, chaotic,” Cordova said. “We rehearse our movements, our voices, our facial expressions, every single detail that can be seen on stage is meticulously worked up until the very last performance. Even outside of rehearsal, we are all working hard to memorize outlines and really put the emotion into the character we portray.”
Although the actors and performers play a very important and prestigious role in the production and putting on a great show, the tech crew are truly the unsung heroes, not just in “Dracula” but in every Hoover High School production there was and is to come. It is safe to say that their hard work is definitely not overlooked.
“There is a ton of work put into the production,” Nist said. “Not only do the actors have to put in extra time memorizing lines but we have the hardest working crew there is. Many of the students stay late after school building the set and making sure everything is perfect for the shows. The crew members started at the beginning of the year putting the show together and they spent multiple periods of the day trying to get stuff together. The actors really appreciate everything they do for us. We are all working extremely hard to bring this show to life and make it everything it can be.”