Senior Spotlight

Karl Helmuth dives into the future

Addie Wolff, Circulation Manager

Student Karl Helmuth, a senior, has a busy life, with big ambitions for the future, and is involved in many clubs, and programs both inside and outside of Hoover.

“ I am a team captain for the boys swimming and diving team at Hoover, I am also concertmaster of the Hoover string orchestra, string choir, and full orchestra,” Helmuth said. “ I am a member of  NHS, outside of school I am also concertmaster of the Canton Youth Symphony. I am also often swimming with other club’s teams outside of the high school swim season.”

Helmuth plans on continuing his swimming career in college.

“In May, I gave my verbal commitment to content my athletic career at The Ohio State University, and I signed my National Letter of intent in November. I am planning on majoring in math with a track in actuary science,” Helmuth said.

Growing up Helmuth was homeschooled for a portion of his childhood where he lived outside of the district.

“I was not always a Hoover student, Helmuth said.  “In first and second grade, I lived in Orrville and was homeschooled. In third and fourth grade, I went to public school in Orrville. Then, in fifth and sixth grade, I was homeschooled again before moving to North Canton and starting out at the middle school in seventh grade.”

Being homeschooled has definitely impacted Helmuths in both good and bad ways.

“In my experience with being homeschooled, I was able to work at an accelerated pace and get ahead of the curve, which definitely helped me when I came to hoover and started taking classes at the high school, Helmuth said. “However, I would also say that homeschooling did inhibit my maturation from a social standpoint. Thanks to great kids at hoover, though this was never too much of a problem for me.”

Helmuth’s parents have encouraged and helped him be successful so far in his life.

“I owe any success that I have had almost entirely to my parents,” Helmuth said. “They have always motivated me to do my best whenever I can, and have inspired and encouraged me to be the best student,musician,and athlete possible. Additionally, I would be nowhere without the amazing guidance of my many coaches, musical instructors, and teachers.”

Teacher Miss Medley who teachers math here at hoover has had karl in a couple of her classes throughout the years.

“ I had Karl as a freshman in honors geometry, and then this year in my AP Statistics class, and last year he worked as one of my student aids,” Medley said.

Helmuth is a very good and hardworking student.

“ Karl has a very focused work ethic. Medley said.  “Whenever he has a goal, he is willing to put the time and effort in to achieve it.  He is very organized and willing to ask for help when needed.  He knows what he wants and is determined to get it. One of my favorite things about karl is that he is a hard worker, but he is not afraid to have fun in class.”

Helmuth’s close friend and co-captain of the swim team Senior Mack Lochridge have been friends for some time now and share many memories together. “We met the summer before seventh grade, he moved into a house right next to mine. My favorite memory with him would have to be when we went for an 8 mile hike the day before the 50 free at nationals,” Lochridge said.

Both being both teammates and captains of the swim team they have had to work well together.

“Being co-captains together is pretty relaxed, we are pretty much on the same page for everything. This year we wanted to focus on having a good time with the team, so we make sure to do an activity outside of the sport,” Lochridge said. “Karl is a great captain in that he makes sure to push everyone to their fullest potential and always makes a positive impact.”