‘Please, Take One’

Communities Trick-or-Treat while following COVID-19 guidelines

Marissa Carpenter, Focus Editor

The City of North Canton held Trick-or-Treat Oct. 31 with some guidelines and recommendations in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Canton resident Mrs. Amanda-Jane Milburn has children in sixth and tenth grade.
“At first I wasn’t too concerned about North Canton holding Trick-or-Treat, but our COVID infection numbers have been going up,” she said.
With some North Canton residents having concerns about Trick-or-Treating, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] gave out some statements on how to stay safe this past Halloween.
On the CDC website, there was an interactive map for residents to check the risk zone by county. There are given guidelines on what to do for each risk zone. Stark County also put out a statement to wear facial coverings, physical distance, and to use hand sanitizer often.
Stark County Commissioners stated the reasons why they still held Trick-or-Treat is for “the spirit of Halloween, candies are individually wrapped, and it’s an outdoor activity.”
Milburn explained her reasoning for why she let her children participate in Trick -or-Treat this year.
“It is a quick exchange, the kids come up and leave right away. As long as everyone wears a mask, and if they are feeling ill stays home, I wouldn’t see any issue,” she said.
She also stated she didn’t have many concerns for Trick-or-Treat itself, but she did have concerns for parties and large get-togethers. There was a statement put out by the Stark County Commissioners.
“Organizations should avoid large gatherings per CDC, Stark County Health Department, and Governor’s orders,” the statement said in part.
“If holding smaller parties, limit attendance to 10 or fewer people,” the Ohio Department of Health said. “Consider the people in your household who may be at greater risk of complications if COVID-19 is brought into the home.”
They also did put out advice on how to take extra precautions during this time, such as limiting the number of houses visited, wipe off candy wrappers, avoid homemade treats, and only take factory-wrapped treats.
“Kids and our older generation are making one of the biggest sacrifices during this time, so I am happy for kids to get some kind of normalcy, and be able to hold some traditions,” Milburn said.
As younger kids don’t fully understand the circumstances the world is under at this time, they still want their normal traditions and the holiday fun they look forward to all year long.
“My youngest child was very excited for Trick-or-Treat,” Milburn said. “It was a thing she really needed and looked forward to every year, she’s been pretty good throughout this whole thing, she had not any issues wearing a mask during Trick-or-Treating.”
The CDC even put out a statement about keeping kids happy while also being healthy and safe.
“Use the map to make sure your county is safe, follow social distancing guidelines, and make this 2020 Halloween holiday one you and the children will never forget.”
Sophomore Mallory Milburn spoke about this “new normal” regarding Halloween.
“It went pretty well, everyone made sure to stay their distance,” she said. “Most people wore a mask and lots of houses were cautious.”