Vikes Make History

Ashlinne Horning

Juinor Blaze Fichter runs in the Federal league meet at Jackson High School Oct. 17.

Alexa Ogilvie , Business Manager

Hoover fall sports seasons have wrapped up for this unprecedented school year — and the sense of normalcy that came with it can never be replaced. With the ups and downs of finding ways to let sports continue, seeing the seasons finish so strong is a step in the right direction. These seasons have been some for the history books, not just for the time period we’re living in, but for all the records broken by exceptional Hoover athletes.
Junior Blaze Fichter is no exception to this group. Running cross country since he was in fifth grade, Fichter broke the record for the cross country 5K run, running a 15:38 race at Jackson’s Federal Championship Oct. 17. The previous record was held by 2003 HHS alum Glenn Collins, with 15:43.
“I was very excited, and happy,” he said. “It was one of the several goals I had for the season, so reaching was a huge success for me personally.”
Fichter knew as he entered this upcoming season, he would need to work hard to prepare. Throughout the summer, while sticking to a set schedule, Fichter followed a plan set by himself and the coaching staff.
“I ran a 502 mile summer which was scheduled by our coach,” he said. “Following his schedule for whatever he had planned. I also would lift and workout Monday-Saturday on my own time.”
Moving away from the courses of cross country and onto the turf of Don Hertler Sr. Memorial Stadium, senior Connor Ashby had a record-breaking football season as Hoover’s quarterback. Overall, Ashby broke several records, both career and game, including most passing yards, most completions, most touchdown passes, highest completion percentage, most touchdowns accounted for, most three-hundred yard games passing, most total yards gained, and most yards passing in a game.
“I was very happy that I had the chance to break some of the school’s football records,” he said. “I know that there have been many very good football players to step foot on the field wearing orange and black. It would not have been possible without the help of my teammates and coaches, so I would like to thank them a lot.”
Mr. Tim Goodman, a math teacher at Hoover and the offensive coach for football, worked with Ashby as he continued to break records and make Hoover history. Goodman had many positives when he spoke of Ashby, both on and off field.
“Connor’s greatest strength off the field is he is a great young man,” Goodman said. “He’s humble and doesn’t let the noise get to his head. On the field Connor is a fierce competitor. His desire to win drives his teammates and his own performance.”
Besides working on himself to get ready for the season, Ashby also worked with his teammates, making sure the whole team was together and ready to take one another season, though an unprecedented one.
“Throughout my football career here at Hoover High School, my team has really pushed me to be the best I can be every day,” Ashby said. “Football is a team sport, through playing football I have been taught that successful things come through hard work and dedication.”
Besides leaving a lasting impact on his teammates, Ashby has left an impression on the coaching staff who’s helped him become the amazing and well-known football star that Hoover sees during those Friday night games.
“I have really enjoyed coaching Connor,” Goodman said. “He is a great athlete on the field but is just as impressive off the field. I’ve enjoyed our relationship the last three years and will miss him as he moves to the next level.”
Ashby, who has signed to Kent State for baseball and will not continue his football career, knew that this season would be very important to him and his team.
“Throughout this season our team has improved a lot,” he said. “With there being many new players starting, they have not upset any expectations. From the beginning of the year, I knew that we would be a very good team if we played with a lot of heart and played together as a team, and we did just that.”