The Vote Must Go On

Students, staff discuss election process during COVID-19 pandemic

Rory Galbraith, News Editor

The presidential election is right around the corner; however, this year, voter turnout is uncertain. Even with the continued spread of COVID-19 in America, many states will still offer in-person voting. Many voters, though, will be voting from home via the mail to elect their next president.
Mail-in voting has been around even before the COVID-19 outbreak. With absentee ballots, voters could use the mail to vote in case they were away from the country or unable to vote in person that day. Now, however, voting through the mail is a popular option with the uncertainty of going out into public and many people going through the voting stations all day long.
A major issue about voting by mail many politicians and voters have brought up is the security of their vote, whether someone, or rather anyone, could change or lose their vote at any time during the mailing process.
“Absolutely it happens,” AP Government teacher Mr. Glenn Cummings said. “That’s just the way it’s going to be, and we have to continue to try to come up with better ways to catch them.”
He added with every election, there will always be a small amount of voters doing anything to rig or swing the election in their favor, but there has never been an election so close, to where that is even a factor in who ends up taking the election.
“I have never not voted in person, but I am very much worried about COVID and worried about bringing it back to my family,” Cummings said.
Of course for people nervous about COVID-19 or for people with preexisting conditions or symptoms, voting by mail provides a great alternative. Senior Emma Ellis, co-leader of the Bipartisan Club, believes this as well.
“People deserve the right to vote regardless of whether or not they’re able to make it to the polls,” she said.
There is a heightened interest in voter turnout this year, considering many people will be voting by mail, certain complications with the process and security concerns with the mailing process. While unable to vote in this election, Ellis remains confident the election is a crucial one; however, a lot could change regarding future elections.
“I think it’s very important to turn out and always just vote,” she said.
It is a big election year, and like always, every vote counts. Whether someone decides to vote in person or vote by mail, everyone still holds the right to vote, and they have the right to make that vote count, regardless of a pandemic. For senior Josh Mongold, he will vote in-person.
“It’s my first time voting and I want to get the experience,” he said.