The Future of Sports

With seasons canceled or postponed due to COVID-19, what do the next seasons hold?

Jeff Wheeler/Star Tribune/TNS/used with permission

The interior of an an empty Target Field an hour before the Home Opener against the Oakland A’s would have begun.

Claire Wood, Opinion Editor

COVID-19 has taken a huge toll on the stock market, small businesses, and people’s careers. It has affected this entire country in many ways, whether it be school-related events, such as prom or graduation, or the normal daily routine. For many, the daily routine requires sports-related events.

The coronavirus has taken away our ability to do what we love — to play, to watch, to enjoy our sports. All sporting events have been either postponed or completely canceled.

What will happen when they start back up?

Lately, I have been thinking about the day when everything starts to ease back into normalcy. It will be a very tedious process to do so, assuming a second wave will hit. This makes all of us wonder, what will happen to the sporting events? 

Watching a sports game on television without the fans is not as enjoyable. If no fans show up to the game, then how are the players going to gain a profit? What will happen to the staff members, now with no job and earning no money, at the sports games? Fans might not return to these sporting events in fear of this pandemic. This could create many issues.   

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases expert, says that if professional sports continue this summer, there will not be an audience. Until then, we will have to wait until we get to walk into our beloved stadiums and arenas again.

Daniel Wann, a psychology professor at Murray State University, has a theory. He thinks that the huge sports fans will binge or buy tons of tickets to the sporting events very quickly, because they were deprived of their favorite sports. What about the people that are not the biggest fans in the world, the casual fans?

“They might be finding something else to do,” he said.

He assumes that they will not be coming back so fast in the future. 

Of course, I cannot predict anything that is coming up. I cannot say what’s going to happen, but things will not return to normal as fast as some people predict. Unfortunately, that includes sports. To me, the horrifying thought is this: an NBA Final with no fans there to cheer on their team. A Super Bowl without noise in the stands. The World Series with an empty stadium. ♦