The Next Chapter

Seniors discuss plans after Hoover

Lana Hollis, Co-Chief OP-ED Editor

For every senior, there is a lot of pressure to have a definitive plan for the future laid out. Though it is impossible to plan out one’s life down to every minute detail, it is still important to set goals and have an idea of what one wishes to accomplish. When it comes to male students in Hoover High’s class of 2020, the goals they have set for themselves are impressively worth noting as they strive to make an impact on the world and those around them, while also fulfilling their personal happiness.

Simon Vaughn, a video productions member throughout his high school career, is a perfect example of setting that balance. He will be attending Cleveland State University, majoring in Film and Media Arts. Although he is going to be working behind the camera, Vaughn wants to make a splash in his career.

“I know I want to work in film, and up until recently I knew I wanted to work with cameras,” Vaughn said. “But after seriously studying movie, story, and narrative structure, I hope I can practice writing screenplays. The dream is to work for VICE as one of their primary camera operators for their documentaries, the very thing that inspired me to undertake this field of work.”

One may think Vaughn’s dream is impressive enough, but it is what he wants to do with a position at VICE that makes it even more admirable.

“I see [VICE documentaries] as a medium that shows to the whole world, through the power of the internet, what is actually happening around the globe,” Vaughn said. “They sneak into North Korea, Venezuela, and Pakistan to show people where the real crises of the world are. But even if I worked on a film set, I see film as the most relevant and impactful form of storytelling, and there is a real art in it.”

It is clear that film can have a monumental impact on the world, and while that is one of Vaughn’s primary reasons for pursuing film, he also has a passion for it.

“I decided a long time ago that film and cameras were going to be my life because they had lined up with all things I want equally,” Vaughn said. “Camera operation has equal parts of what I love, what I think the world needs, what I can be paid for, and what I am good at.”

Feeling secure for the relative future brings comfort, but not everything is set in stone. Vaughn believes that a balance of planning and spontaneity is necessary.

“I am glad that I know that I will definitely be attending CSU,” Vaughn said. “That foundation of me being educated and in a more urban environment is very exciting and secure to me. The part where I somewhat disagree with planning is, in terms of the film industry, unfortunately it’s a lot of who you know more than what you know. If I try to plan out every single job I will or will not get, I will drive myself crazy. I would say make a path, but you do not have to walk in the center of it.”

Sports can be another profession or hobby that can have equal importance to our world and to the bonds we form with those around us. Jacob Wood, a senior tennis player, will be continuing his tennis pursuits at Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas, but still has some decisions to make.

“I do not know if I will continue to play competitive tennis after I graduate, but it will definitely still be a part of my life,” Wood said. “Unfortunately, I do not know what job I want to have or what major to study, so I will decide that soon.”

Despite being undecided, Wood knows that regardless of what field of study he chooses to pursue, the impression he wants to leave on others is on a more personal scale, rather than a public one.

“I hope to make lasting relationships among the tennis team and the people I will meet in my classes,” Wood said. “Leaving a memory that would be brought up in a good way and bring people together is my goal. I was blessed with the life I have, so I hope to do something good and make the best of my life by leaving a positive impact on the world.”

Even if he hasn’t laid everything out for himself yet, Wood still believes that planning is incredibly important.

“You will be more prepared for the future [by planning], but you also need to keep your mind open,” Wood said.  Things change very fast and the world can be harsh, so you do not want to be fixated on one plan. Being able to adapt is important, and by planning you can be more ready to adapt.”

Andrew Lineweaver, a dedicated Hoover band percussionist, is pushing to continue his musical endeavors by trying out for Ohio State University’s marching band, alongside majoring in Data Analytics. Lineweaver is passionate about music, and believes it important to keep at it.

“I am not planning on working in the music world, but I am going to continue drumming,” Lineweaver said. “Percussion has been one of my favorite things for most of my life, and I do not plan on giving it up. If I do somehow end up in a band that hits the charts, that would be a lot of fun.”

Though he does not necessarily plan on doing music as a career post-college, Lineweaver wants to make the most of his potential position on OSU’s marching band by bringing entertainment to the college’s football games and a sense of pride to the state of Ohio.

“I think my hopeful participation in the Ohio State Marching Band will help bring thousands of Buckeye fans together at football games, giving them a show they will never forget,” Lineweaver said. “One of the best Ohio State gameday traditions is Script Ohio, a world-famous drill that spells out “Ohio”, and it would be amazing if I could march in that every week at football games.”

When it comes to Lineweaver’s outlook on making future plans, he views doing so as absolutely vital.

“It is very important to make plans for the future because without plans, there is no direction,” Lineweaver said. “Planning allows for a stable mind and a lot of extra confidence. Sometimes, plans can be abruptly changed by outside forces, but overall, planning for the future is necessary for living a good life.”

Despite Vaughn, Wood and Lineweaver coming from different interests and going into vastly different careers, sports, and activities, the three of them have similar advice when it comes to those of us who may still be uncertain when faced with the daunting future. Wood suggests to strive for your own personal satisfaction. 

“Forget what other people do and focus on what you want,” Wood said. “Find the place where you will be the happiest and you will be good.”

Lineweaver advises to look toward your talents and passions for inspiration.

“You don’t have to know right now,” Lineweaver said. “All you really have to do is think about what you love doing or what interests you, and find a program that allows that passion to blossom.”

Vaughn shares sentiments with both Wood and Lineweaver, but also has this to say: do not be afraid to go at your own pace.

“I’m very fortunate to have figured out what I wanted to do so early,” Vaughn said. “But I totally understand how college and the idea of a profession is so daunting. In my opinion, I think that staying at home making money or something, and having no idea what I want to do, would be better than to be thrown into a major or school I hate, and get stuck with a job I hate. Personal happiness is much more important than what others want you to do, so please, for your sake, take your time, ask for ideas and ask for help.” ♦