Tides of Transition

Seniors recall years at NCMS

Nick Locke, Chief Cover Designer

For most of us, middle school was an incredibly important part of our lives. It’s one of the biggest transitions we’ve had so far. For many, it was their first time in a new building. It was a time to meet an incredible amount of new friends. It was a time that may have been a little awkward, but also a time of growth. While we couldn’t chew gum, have our phones on us, and still needed our parents to drive us around everywhere, it was the first taste of independence for many. We started taking higher level classes, sometimes this included high school courses, we learned to do things on our own and most importantly we learned how to succeed. 

While sixth grade was mostly a transitional year, Alex Tysa’s favorite memory from middle school happened right at the start.

“Definitely the Camp Muskingum trip we had,” Tysa said. “I would say this because it kinda helped me meet new people in my grade and was an experience that I hadn’t really had up until then.”

Seventh grade was when many of us started coming into our own. While there were no big trips, there were definitely many memorable moments. For Caroline Mosholder, seventh grade was the first of many incredible school musical roles.

“My favorite memory from middle school has to be my first school musical I did in 7th grade,” she said. “It was ‘Into The Woods’ and I remember when I auditioned I had the worst cold and thought that I bombed the audition.  A week later the cast list came out and I was one of only four or five 7th graders to get make it in.  It was a small cast but we became so close over the months of rehearsals and I made so many great friends that lasted throughout my years at Hoover.”

Eighth grade was arguably the most important year for us. For a lot of us, it was the start of our high school career. Even if you didn’t take a high school course, we were constantly prepped for high school by the way our teachers taught us how to do things. It was also the year of D.C.

For Cade Houston, it was the best part of middle school.

“The Washington D.C. trip, because it was a chance to be with my friends in a whole different state,” he said. “Just hanging out with friends and not having to worry about homework was fun, and the memories we made were the best. The food we had was phenomenal as well.”

Throughout our entire school career, we’ve been told that we were special because we were in the Class of 2020. Eighth grade English teacher Mr. Dan Martin agrees.

“I recall the Class of 2020 as an especially motivated and creative class,” he said. “ An unusually large group of top-flight students worked very hard to outperform one another. Each wanted to get the highest grade on the test, earn the best score on the essay…those students set the tone for their classmates. They may not have realized it, but they led by example, silently challenging their peers to be the best students they could be. The accomplishments of the Class of 2020 demonstrate what we recognized all the way back in 8th grade.”

And Mr. Martin was right. We’re truly in unprecedented times. No one is sure what is and isn’t going to happen, but we’ll get through like we’ve gotten through everything else, together. ♦